Tuesday 26 January 2010

26th January

Tomorrow I finish the job and get the flight back to Dubai for a long-awaited weekend with friends. So what do I take from this mission? First and foremost the utter chaos of life in Dhaka, unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. Next, the very interesting office I have been working in, full of bright young things, all Bangladeshi (except for one British lady) but with a very western outlook; this was a real surprise to me. Finally, and a real positive here. Three weeks and more in the country and no Dehli belly!

The job itself was not a great surprise; one more country with institutions that didn’t really work too well, but not unlike those I have seen in parts of the former Soviet Union. Last of all was the reason I was there-the water bodies of this part of Bangladesh-absolutely filthy, black and almost certainly completely dead, the result of a complete breakdown in pollution control over very many years.

Will I come back? Yes, if asked, I guess. The people are pleasant, the place seems to be safe, my hotel was comfortable and the office works well. But will I get asked? I suppose that depends on how well my report is finally received by our ultimate clients, the World Bank.

But before I have to think any more about work, it’s back to my old stamping ground of Abu Dhabi and some much needed R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment