Sunday 17 January 2010

Déjà vu

I remember a previous trip away, in 2007, when I first saw on CNN, in my apartment in Kiev, the devastation that was Tewkesbury after that dreadful day’s rain on 20th July. As if only yesterday I recall the following days when I watched everything unfold on the news but also had my own reports from home and from mum in Tewkesbury; how my uncle and cousin Lyn had been flooded out along with hundreds of others. And the surrealism of it all in the Ukrainian cloudless summer.

So here I am now, in the warmth and dust of a dry January in Dhaka. I came home this evening and switched on Sky News to see the reporter at Upton Marina, talking about the flood defences and the flooding at Warwick, Evesham and Tewkesbury against the backdrop of a flooded Severn. Weird!
He says that so far the flood is not forecast by the Environment Agency to be severe. Let’s hope he is right. But I guess in the next day or two I’ll be seeing a little more on the TV of the place I always call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment